Wednesday, January 7, 2009

No Brainer

Warning: This is a post about childbirth; it may be a little sketchy!

Here is what is with the poll. Ethan apparently enjoyed the upright position in my belly and therefore was breech. He came two weeks early, and I went into labor with him, so I had a cesarean. Sydney, there was no issues, and I decided to try a VBAC. So I am sure some would think its a no brainer this time around; have another VBAC. To be honest, I am not sure I would prefer that. Of the two experiences, the one I had an easier time with and have happier memories with, definitely the C Section. I may have a scar on my lower abdomen (that no one will ever see, and its already there so who cares?). After having both recoveries, its hard for me to make a good decision, because my circumstances were different. With the section, I had no one else to take care of except Jake, and I did live in an apartment so I did have to take him outside to go potty several times a day. But other than that, no major demands. This time around, I will have two kids to take care of. The VBAC. I still took pain meds, maybe for not as long as the section, but a different part of me hurt. I felt like after that I was screwed up and would never be the same. Do I really want to make that part even worse? Again, I know that is a personal issue that no one else has to deal with, but for some reason I did have issues with knowing the difference, with that in mind, between the section and the VBAC. Let's face it, there are definite benefits to leaving that part of the body out of labor and delivery.
I don't have anything really planned for March and April and maybe May. Except I will throw a big party in mid to late-May if Jody reaches his goals. Oh I just remembered... I may have an Easter activity and/or another activity in May that I will be in charge of for my church (but I am not the only one on my committee, so that will work out, I am sure). I may need some help, either way (with my kids, house). I may just be stuck in front of the TV no matter what, I mean with Sydney she ate every two hours. For those unknowing individuals, that meant that if she started eating at 12, she started eating again at 2. My kids take forever to eat, so I usually only had a little over an hour to anything before I had to start feeding again. Maybe this kid will spare me feeling like a blob, but I am not counting on it :). Jody's work is really great about using sick days (they just keep piling up) and with the first two kids, he pretty much had three weeks off work. With Ethan, he spent a lot of time away doing house stuff, though, cause we were building at the time. This time around, he is on the Jazz team, so March and after are kind of a busy time in the NBA. There are only 7 home games after March 7th, so that is a blessing (he does not cover away games, usually). That said, I am not sure how much time he will be able to take off due to the time of year: Playoffs. Will that matter? I am not sure. Other things to consider-- 3-4 days in the hospital as opposed to 1-2 (I like the hospital so the longer is a bonus to me; peace and QUIET!). I plan on having a 4th child. Do I want to have a choice in delivery method for that child? If I have a second cesarean, there will be no other choice.
I am not wanting to actually pick the baby's birthday, but I don't think that will be a problem, since the hospital will only allow you to schedule a section one week in advance, and though its no guarantee on this one, Ethan was 2 weeks early and Sydney was 11 days. I figure no matter what, I am going into labor.
{Sidenote-- getting dilated to a four was much easier and MUCH less painful with Ethan than Sydney. I just showed up to the hospital at a 4, with manageable pain. Had a baby an hour or so later. With Syd, I showed up to the hospital at 1 am, at like a ONE and was in horrendous pain for hours, was sent home (to parents') at 7 am then went back at 1 or 2 pm, just barely a 4. }
http://www.webmd.com/baby/should-i-have-a-vbac-trial-of-labor-after-a-previous-cesarean#aa37799-Intro These links are for me to be able to quickly find again, but you can read up if you want.
I am sure it is really not a big deal either way. I mean we will manage no matter what. I just can't make decisions and like to make things more difficult for myself.
Now that I have turned a quick thought into a lengthy hour long endeavor, I am going watch the last little bit of Aladdin with my kids!
As requested :) pics; these were just taken at my grandma's house on January, 4th 2009.

4 comments:

Jenni Kehaulani Jensen (Matthews) said...

How freakin cute are you! I wish I looked that good when I was prego. Now that is a belly that you want to rub. Ha Ha! No really, super cute! I love how the "maternity clothes" are so much cuter now than they were even 2,5,7, years ago.
Good luck with your dicision, it is a tough one to make. I personally had 3 vag births, with the the epidural (HEAVEN). I say if possible, play it by ear. If the baby turns and needs to have a c-section , fo for it. If not, try the VBAC.
Medically, they do say that the "down time" is shorter and better with the VBAC. But is sounds like you are going in to it very informed. So, good on you!!!

Good luck! Oh yeah, thanks for the Christmas card, it was very cute.
Jenni

Kelli Proctor said...

Heather, you look hot! I LOVE the pics, even though I just saw you the other day for a second. I know a girl who opted for a c section her first pregnancy and planned on doing them all that way. Good luck on whatever you decide! Love you!

Shannon said...

Oh I wish I looked like that with my third. I think I look like that now and he is 4 months old. I think the decision will have to be yours and Jodi's to make in the end. I had all three VBAC and with the first had a 4th degree tear, second was way easy and if no one has told you, the third, the labor pains afterwards are the worst!!! I don't know what to tell you but good luck...

Chunk N ME said...

Hey girl! look at you! :) so here's what I say. My doctor will only let me have 4 C-sections. No mo'. So I can only have 2 more kids, but we wanted a whole herd of kids, so if we could VBAC it - we would. But since I know the pain, glory, and more pain of C-sections, I'd rather have the VBAC and heal more quickly and get up and moving again than not. I'm the type of person that has to be doing somthing or I get depressed thinking I'm such a slug. So I guess it depends on even how many kids you want and how many c-sections your doc will let you have. That may help you decide. (But I know 4 kids is the new 6-8 kids! LOL! I'm sure I'll feel that way come July!)

GOOD LUCK GIRL!!