Saturday, January 17, 2009

Knowledge is Key

Okay so ignorance truly is bliss. This came as a shock to me and I am sorry if I ruin it for anyone, but here is something that opened my eyes-- Jody and I went to Cold Stone last night for a treat (after dinner, we had a coupon/gift certificate to Madeline's-- I had the coconut shrimp and I was NOT disappointed! YUM). Jody asked for the nutritional info and found out that his Sinless Sweet Cream was like 290 calories and .5 gram of fat for the Love It size, medium. WELL. My Love It chocolate-Sweet Cream concoction (yum yum yum I LOVE COLD STONE) -- with nothing added (I added almonds, but this is just the cream)-- was 40 grams of fat. Yes, that was FORTY. Wow. A small little thing of ice cream. Imagine if I'd added a candy bar? I mean nuts aren't exactly fat free, but at least they are good for you!

So the largest, the Gotta Have It, had like 1000 calories. I did not look at the fat, cause its just horrendous. I was still reeling that I just ate (and would really like to again right this second) 40 grams of fat in a small amount of time.
Healthy eating really does require you to pay attention to things. I don't have Cold Stone all that often, so its not that big of a deal. You know, it could be my Ben and Jerry's for the year. But when I watch the Biggest Loser and Jody is sitting there counting the POINTS Values--insert commercial here, for any of you who watch BL and their cheesy little mid-show mini commercials--{Me: laughing cause that is what Jody has to call "points" when writing for Weight Watchers}, I have to remember that just cause I am not over 200 lbs, I should pay attention to what I eat a little more. I am sure my dinner (which very likely could be a diet breaker in and of itself) and my treat would take a week to work off. Its a good thing I have a little help in that area (thanks, baby, for absorbing some of that!). So for today-- high fiber and low fat waffles, oranges & more oranges, LOTS of water, and, I am sure, some Moose Tracks tonight :)

0 comments: