I just had to share this valuable (I think, anyway) information. If you have not finished your basement yet, and plan on it, well I have a little tip for you. Check with your gas and power companies about rebates for installing insulation. Whether they offer them, or not, I would strongly suggest it anyway. We put insulation on all outer walls, under the joists (between floors) and between every room. I noticed that the last two months, our gas bill is less than it was last year. Last year, when we were only heating upstairs. We have another thing that may contribute to that, but it also may not make a difference. I am guessing that most people keep their basement vents closed. Well, I nannied for a family and really liked that they had a thermostat upstairs and a separate downstairs. We looked into something like that. We did not get a completely separate system (would be nice, but $$$), but it is zoned? I think that is what it is called. So it all comes from the same heater/ac unit (yes, my basement needs ac!), but you can control the temperatures separately. So right now, I have my basement set at 62 degrees, but when I go down, I raise it to whatever, and then change it back before I come up. The whole point of me boring you out with all this house info-- if you can do the zoning, I would definitely splurge. It is well worth it in the long run.
But the thing I think really is something that has helped, is all that insulation. The gas/power companies may still have rebates out there, which will more than pay for the insulation (especially if you install it yourself! Sidenote: if they do, you could buy the insulation now, even if not finishing basement yet, keep all the things and send in for the rebates. That way you get the money back. ) But, even if they do not pay for it, you will still save money on your gas bill.
My sister's house is about 2700 Sq Ft (total) and she said their gas bill was about $150. That is how much ours is and we have a 4100 sq ft (total) house. They did not do any extra insulation.
I am not sure what the other variables are, but I thought I would send out some info on this random matter. Have a great Sunday Eve. Hopefully you are not awake right now :)
Sunday, February 17, 2008
Insulation
Posted by Heather at 10:38 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





1 comments:
We did this too in our attic and the power company paid for the entire bill, even the labor. It was awesome to get the 3000.00 check.
Post a Comment