Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Thanksgiving Favorites

I had so many recipes to post, but I forgot which ones! So here are the ones I can remember.

First off, Pie Crust. This recipe is from "Good Home Cooking: Highland 4th ward"
and the person who listed it (Dorte Anderson), said it was a Martha Stewart recipe for "Pate Brisee"

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp granulated sugar
1 cup Butter (2 sticks), cut into small pieces
1/4 to 1/2 cup ice water

Secrets to a good pie crust: Chilled ingredients and chilled dough. I have never done this, but I am sure it helps ;).
Put flour, salt, and sugar in a food processor. All ingredients should be cold. Add the butter pieces and process approximately 10 seconds or until it resembles coarse meal (I am old fashioned, I guess, and just use my pastry blender). Add ice water drop by drop while machine is running- just until dough holds together without being wet or sticky; do not process more than 30 seconds. Roll dough out on a piece of Saran Wrap; press down slightly. Chill for at least one hour. Makes two 8-10 inch tarts or single pie crusts.

My favorite pie is pumpkin and this is even better- Pumpkin Cheesecake.
My mom made this for many years. She told me she got it from the Deseret News a number of years ago, so being the lucky girl I am, I logged into Jody's system and searched until I found it. I do not know who the creator is.

Pumpkin Cheesecake

1 deep dish pie crust

A)1 8 oz pkg cream cheese
1/4 c sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 egg

B) 1 c plain pumpkin
1/3 c sugar
1/3 tsp ginger
3/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
dash of salt
2 eggs, slightly beaten
5 oz evaporated milk

Preheat oven and baking sheet to 350 degrees.
In a small bowl, combine ingredients 'A.' Beat until creamy, then spread in bottom of unbaked pie crust.
In a medium bowl (or if you are lazy, like me, rinse the other out), combine ingredients 'B.' Pour over (but slowly, so the layers stay separate) the cream cheese mixture.
Bake on the baking sheet for 50-55 minutes. Take out at 55 minutes, even if it does not seem done because it will set up after cooling down.


I don't really like apple pie, never have. But I love the Food Network, and I like Tyler Florence, and watched him make the Ultimate Caramel Apple Pie. So I tried it. My way. If you want to try his version, look up that recipe on www.foodnetwork.com.
I use his recipe as a basic outline and used my own caramel recipe, and added a secret ingredient. I could not tell exacts or anything, so if you want to try this, use his. I have to say that I ate half this pie myself. I also received many compliments the other times I have made it.

"Olive Garden" Spinach Artichoke Dip (who knows, I found it on the internet)

8 oz cream cheese
1 14 oz can artichoke hearts, chopped
1/2 c spinach, chopped and well drained
1/4 c mayonnaise
1/4 c Parmesan cheese
1/4 c Romano cheese
1 clove garlic
1/2 T dry basil (1 tsp fresh)
1/4 c mozzarella cheese
1/4 tsp garlic salt
salt and pepper

* I like the spinach and artichoke hearts to be almost pureed, no chunks.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (when ready to bake).
Cream together the mayo, cream cheese, Parmesan, Romano, garlic, basil, and garlic salt. Mix well. Add the artichoke hearts and spinach and mix until well blended.
Store in a container until ready to use.
Spray pan w/ cooking spray and pour dip in. Top with mozzarella cheese.
Bake for 25 minutes, or until top is lightly browned. Serve with toasted bread (or tortilla chips, crackers, whatever).

I get requests and usually end up making this year after year. I like to use my Pampered Chef food chopper to get the artichokes and spinach pretty fine, but still some texture. Otherwise, the food processor works fine. If you like it just chopped, then don't even worry about either of those!

0 comments: