Saturday, March 28, 2009

Contest, Thank you's, and an IMO, etc

First off, I want to tell you that there is a contest currently going on my business' blog-- letreschic.blogspot.com. The spring boutique season is just getting started. I am not really ready for it, but it is here!

I was just eating some bread I made and thought I would talk about it again as well. I have been making our bread for the better part of this year, so far, except for the first couple weeks in March. This recipe is very easy and relatively quick. I obtained it from the ladies at http://www.pantrysecrets.net/. One of the great things about their recipe is that every single ingredient has a long shelf life and does not require refrigeration. There are only six ingredients, as well (I think). I add a couple more to my wheat bread, but that is cause I am funny and like to add things like milled flax seed, etc. So anyway, its great bread and my kids love it. I usually make wheat, but the white is SO GOOD, and I make it for pizza dough, etc. We eat homemade pizza all the time. What can I say? I really do like the pizza I make better than pizza out. I am willing to show anyone who wants to learn how to make it, or you can get the stuff from their website (a dvd or sign up for a class).

Here is the "IMO". I know this may bug some of my readers, so I apologize for the conflict :) but its a good point to make, so I am making it. This has been bugging me for a while. There are two major newspapers in this valley, and I am glad for that. One of them claims to be Utah's independent voice. They really have the wool pulled over many people's eyes, making it seem like their news is more accurate or that their news is less-LDS. In fact, rather than being non-LDS news, the more accurate description is they report as much ANTI-LDS news that they can. Both papers have LDS employees, and while I would guess that the Trib has less, believe me when I say that the Deseret News is not even half LDS, or at least I would guess. Maybe with the Church News division, but since that is once a week, it does not count. Anyway it should not even matter. Most the people I know that subscribe to the Tribune are LDS and I am really not sure the allure the Tribune holds. In fact, I am writing this to kind of say we need to buck up and stand for what we believe in. This is a time where it is very important to let people know where we stand, and quite frankly, what message are you portraying when you have that orange bag on your porch? That you are okay with that newspaper, printing things that you (should) hold sacred, right there on the front page (IE the woman in her temple clothing that they printed last week; Also, the columnists regularly- or often enough- mock LDS values, etc. They try to walk a fine line because they know many of their readers are LDS and don't want to hurt subscriptions)? Think about that. The Deseret News reports news, but would never violate the privacy of any religion like that. It is morally and ethically wrong. It is good that people are still subscribing to the newspaper, I just think maybe we should make sure the one that we subscribe to represents us correctly.
FINE PRINT-- we receive both papers; we pay the fee for one and we get both. Also, Jody gets them both to read the competition, for his work. So unfortunately that stupid orange bag is on our driveway too, but it is accompanied by the yellow bag.

On to more friendly matters! This is a long post, but this is the most important part of it.
This last three and a half weeks have been a whirlwind and I owe thanks to MANY people! I am not going to name out everyone, or this could really be long. My Grandma Kenney came and stayed with me the week before Aidan was born and helped get things in order. She never stops moving. She helped me catch up on dishes, laundry, etc and she hung out with the kids so I could run a few errands. Then she came back after I had him and helped some more. One day, she took the kids ALL DAY! They left after breakfast and came back after dinner. My parents watched Ethan and Syd while we were in the hospital, which was from Sunday night to Friday morning. I had FIVE friends bring in dinner (and oh my, they were all so good). Then Jody's mom and family brought it a couple more times. Someone left some diapers on my porch, and I have no idea where they came from. I have had friends take the older two for a while to help me out. I even received a cute little Kiwi shirt and hat from New Zealand (thanks Sue!)! I feel so blessed. I know that sounds cheesy but I am surrounded by really great people and we are so grateful to all you have done for us!
Thank you also for the well wishes and advice, the hospital and home visits, the treats, the gifts, the quiet house to help me with this crazy transition, offers to help, etc. I have needed this so much and I am very appreciative of all that has been done for us. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

2 comments:

Jen Jensen said...

Actually, what you said in your 3rd paragraph is pretty much true in everything we do. The visiting teaching message for the month asks "Why Must I Defend the Doctrine of the Family?". I think this applies to all other in areas in our life too. As my VT partner pointed out, we have a duty to stand up for what we believe in, including such touchy issues like Prop 8.

scrappysue said...

you're welcome heather! glad to hear things are going well