Friday, November 21, 2008

In Addition (my thoughts, thoughts of others)

I was curious about what others had to say too, just to see if Nic and I were up in the night (hahaha no pun intended). Here are a few spot-on reviews, from Rotten Tomatoes.

"I know it's expected to be a huge blockbuster and all, but it's been quite some time since I've seen a would-be blockbuster so resolutely try to sabotage itself."

"Meyer is said to have been involved in the production of Twilight, but her novel was substantially more absorbing than the unintentionally funny and quickly forgettable film."
(what is SM to do, its not like she can tell them it sucks, and she is not going to say out loud that they did a crappy job, that would just be shooting herself in the foot, ya know? Let's hope movie 2 -- if there is one-- is better made)
"Consensus: Having lost much of its bite transitioning to the big screen, Twilight will please its devoted fans, but do little for the uninitiated."
"A disappointingly anemic tale of forbidden love that should satiate the pre-converted but will bewilder and underwhelm viewers who haven't devoured Stephenie Meyer's bestselling juvie chick-lit franchise."

"Soul-searching looks between young lovers can be fine--but when mutually-emphatic eyeballing stands in for a plot, it's insufferable. Bring a thermos of espresso. And an alarm clock."
(this aspect of the movie drove me crazy-- I felt like their glances at each other were, mostly, nothing short of psychotic!)
My personal favorite--
"On television critics might have hailed Twilight as one of the best things on TV. As a movie it's merely not terrible."
Did I mention that Rosalie was a huge disappointment? For someone who is supposed to be drop-dead (haha sorry about the bad humor, I did not get much sleep...) gorgeous, she was not even that pretty (the actress may be, but the way they did her all up was just not) and her hair looked kind of weird...

Okay, I guess I should be done posting others' reviews. A couple things that I hadn't said yet- I thought Edward's character was a lot more poised, smooth, etc. The screenwriters either portrayed him wrong or Pattinson just did not do a good job with that. I actually do think the two actors had good chemistry together, they just only gave a few glimpses of it.
I am glad I saw it, but these reviews are definitely accurate. Like I said. Dollar movie.

Someone else said this:
" I was deeply upset after seeing Twilight the movie for the second time last night at midnight. I saw it on Tuesday during the early premiere.
If you are someone who loves the books, the movie was a huge let down. Other than the beautiful Robert Pattinson on screen, the rest did not live up to my expectations.
There were several scenes added that didn't need to be there or ones that should have been there from the book that were not. This director should not be praised, but punished for ruining what I've been waiting months to see come alive.
You never once feel the love between Edward and Bella like you do in the book. There is no silly banter, awkward moments, nothing! THe movie seemed so rushed that you walked out of the theatre wondering what you actually just saw!
There was no talk of the other Cullen siblings and their talents, no one knows how or when they were created. And the worst part is, if they want to do New Moon (which I hope they do with a different screen writer and director) they didn't tell you much about Jacob or his friendship with Bella. This is a major part in New Moon when Bella needs someone to comfort her, how is she going to run off ot Jacob when she saw him all of 2 times in the movie???
OR how about the fact that Billy doesn't drive! Thats why Bella got the truck, thats why Jacob is supposed to be around to drive him places???
Why or why did you take a story I feel in love with and rip it apart only to put the torn, messy, sopping with glue stick pieces back together out of order or with several important huges chucks of the pages missing???
I will continue to re-read the books so that I may live with the happy memory of the story I fell in love with....and Edward Cullen."

And with that, I will be done with this review. I hope.

1 comments:

r.l.secor said...

My sentiments so exactly - makes me want to re-read the book just to get it all feeling right again!