Tuesday, January 8, 2008

New Year, New You

Seriously, is there some all around theme for this year? If not, maybe advertisers can be a little more original, since I have seen that slogan splashed everywhere the last few weeks.

So I am behind, I have a tag to do (from like three weeks ago!), I want to write stuff (and have for weeks, I am just so lazy!). and I would love to post pictures. I just hate being on here for so long when I have so many other things that I need to be doing. Plus, I would rather SLEEP! I am not sure what my problem is, but the last week or so, all I have felt like doing is SLEEP. I never feel this way so much as when I am pregnant (and I am not). SO who knows. Maybe it is the fact that I went out of town and then had two large parties at my house -- Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve. Oh and one of them I had like 5 hours of sleep and the other I had 4. So I guess I am catching up from way back then?

I have been struggling with my 3 year old. I guess that is normal, I just really don't like it! He likes to call me stupid, a jerk, tell me to shut up, call me a freaking little jerk, say damn it, etc. (note: I do not call him these things, I do say damn and freaking a lot, though)
He says one of these things and I put him in time out. While he is in time out, he goes down the list of all the things I have EVER been mad at him for saying. I am trying really hard to not lose it and just smack him. I know he is just doing it to make me mad. And that makes me mad. REALLY MAD. But I am doing okay at ignoring him. He has also been in time out A LOT! I mean he will start at 3 minutes. And add a minute here and there and he ends up being there for over 10 minutes. But he does not like it and I think eventually he will learn. I am sick of parenting advice books saying that timeout is for him to calm down and whatever. I am sick of them saying do this and that but not too much. Well, what the freak do they want me to do? I mean honestly. Try to come up with alternatives to blistering the kids' butts and there just is not much support out there (ha ha, like the parents term? Also, I am being a bit sarcastic, so no need to worry).
Anyway I am using timeout as a means of discipline. I will update you later as to its effectiveness.
The reason I am telling you that (well, he has been in timeout less and less, knock on wood), is because today, as we were driving home from the Rec Center (New Year, New You, ha ha the cheaper city way, cause stupid gyms don't believe in coming close to us out here down south... but I am excited about the Rec Center, anyway), I was singing a Martina McBride song (*LOVE* her) and if you know her music, some of it requires you to belt it out. Which is great when no one is with you but the kids. So the song gets over and my little honey, bless his little heart, said "You sing nice mom." I was not expecting it. Plus, save vacations, etc, I have been singing to this kid 3-12 songs a day since he was born. Either way, it brought a tear to my eye. Not cause he thinks I am a good singer. He is 3 for crying out loud. It was just that he thought to, and did, mention it. It is easy to love a baby. They are so blasted lovable. I have no problem finding love feelings for Sydney. So it is so nice and refreshing for him to really remind me how much I love him, like when he says cute things like that.
Jody said he was in the mood for Mexican food and a while later, Ethan asked if we could go to Mexico to eat. I could not stop laughing. Then as I was singing to him, in the dark (last thing I do before I leave his room at night) and he said that he loves me and does not want to fight anymore. We be friends, mom? It was cute.
Anyway this is like 20 pages long (if there were pages).

Speaking of Mexican food and New Year, New You. If you have resolutions involving weight loss and health, do not go to Del Taco (ha ha, rule #1!) and do not be tempted by the Deluxe Chili Cheese Fries. They are good, but this might make you sick (as it did me, when I arrived home and checked out what I had just eaten). 49 grams of fat. 49! If you are counting Weight Watchers points, that is 17. Not great when I only get like 22 a day. I guess just go to Cafe Rio and live in ignorance cause they are lame and won't even give an estimate of nutritional info. Jerks.

3 comments:

Kelli Proctor said...

you are so funny! Atleast your kids like it when you sing, mine are always yelling at me to "Stop singing!" I didnt think I was that bad! Oh wells! Kids are kids!

natj said...

Yah, I was pretty happy to drop my 5 year old off at preschool today. See ya later sucka! Aren't I sweet? Some days I want to launch my children across the room (not the baby, of course).

Kendra said...

You crack me up heather! I, too, have been dealing with an encourageable toddler. Here's what I have learned. He is a lot more obedient when he knows the expectations, and inderstands the consequenses before I begin the punishment. Example: He talks back. I get down on his level and look him in the eye. I say, "do not speak to mommy like that." Or "that behavior is unacceptable." then you say "This is your warning. If you do it again you will be in the naughty corner for 4 minutes." I don't believe in timeout, because they are not taking a timeout from a game. Calling it the "naughty" corner reminds them that they are there because they were NAUGHTY. Timeout means nothing to a 3 year old. Also, I make him put his nose in the corner. He HATES it. I used to let him just sit in the corner, but after a while I think he enjoyed it. That's when I started the nose to the corner thing. IT WORKS! After 4 minutes I get down on his level and remind him once again why he was there and remind him that if he does it again he will be back in the naughty corner again. Then I make him say sorry. Then we kiss and make up. It's super important that you don't lose your cool, and that there are hugs and kisses after he says sorry. You don't want him to think you are fighting, or that you are angry all day. Once it's over, it's over.

The important things here are 1. looking him in the eye the first time he is naughty and telling him what the consequenses will be if he continues. You'll find this will save your sanity because you aren't repeating yourself a million times. Just nip it in the bud the first time. 2. FOLLOW THROUGH EVERY TIME. 3. Once you tell him he has to sit in the naughty corner, and why he is there, do not say anything else to him, and ignore anything he says to you (unless it's I'm sorry). This "battle talk" is usually where tempers start to rise and things get out of control. Just be calm and firm. 4. when time is up, remind him why he was there, then make him appologize. 5. Don't hold a grudge. Let it go and give hugs and kisses and reasure him. 6. Be consistent. Kids can spot a kink in your chain from a mile away. He has to be able to expect the exact same outcome EVERY SINGLE TIME.

Good Luck! I promise this works. Expectations and consequenses are what kids require. Think about it, we can't meet expectations we don't understand, and smart as these little ones are, they have to be constantly reminded what the parameters are. It's not personal. He's not out to get you. He's just 3 years old.