Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Yummy!


We were at Costco the other day, and I was really wanting to buy this cookbook, but we are trying not to just buy everything we want, so I put it back. Then a few days later, Jody gave it to me as a sort of a thank you gift. I have been trying to have us eat healthier, I have been keeping track of nutritionals every time I cook, etc. I have wanted to buy one of these cookbooks (another is the Sneaky Chef by Missy Lapine http://www.thesneakychef.com/) for a while, so I am happy to have this one.
I have been trying these recipes, and the ones I have tried so far have been pretty good. I wanted to share one- I have had it two days in a row, and Ethan asked me last night where his leftovers were. Here is a link to her website: http://www.deceptivelydelicious.com/.
Oatmeal (with Pumpkin or Sweet Potato) SERVES 2
1 cup nonfat milk
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup canned pumpkin or sweet potato puree (must be cooked and then pureed)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
1 cup old fashioned oats
2 teaspoons natural peanut butter (optional)
Dried fruit and nuts for garnish (optional)
Pure maple syrup, for serving
1. In a small saucepan, combine the milk, sugar, pumpkin, vanilla, and spice. Bring to a gentle boil and stir in the oatmeal. Reduce the heat and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, until the oatmeal is soft and creamy. Stir in the peanut butter, if using.
2. Spoon the oatmeal into bowls, sprinkle with fruit and nuts, if you like, and serve warm with maple syrup.
*** My notes are these: I used the pumpkin pie spice, no peanut butter and no dried fruit. I am sure if you like raisins, it would be good. I topped the oatmeal with finely chopped pecans. YUM. If you like these ingredients, you will like this! (If you want the sweet potato instructions, tell me and I will send them to you. I am too lazy to type them out right now!).
I have another recipe that Jody brought home from a Weight Watchers meeting.
Really, it is quite flexible. It is this- a 15 oz can of pumpkin and a cake mix. Mix together really good. You can make this into cupcakes or a cake. Or cookies.
For the cupcakes (what I usually make), I use a chocolate cake mix for the cupcakes (never made them with another flavor, so I am not sure how the flavor works out) and you have no idea there is pumpkin in them. I have always added a couple tablespoons of applesauce, just because I was worried there was not enough moisture. They are yummy. I make them and we eat a couple and I freeze the rest. They are good frozen, too ( I am too impatient to wait for them to thaw; also, if you are looking for a bite size treat, use mini muffin pans). I have added Kisses, chocolate chips, and other things too. Bake 350 degrees, for as long as the box says.
For the cookies, I use a spice cake mix and add the pumpkin as well as chocolate chips. Drop by spoonful on a greased cookie sheet and then bake on 350 degrees. I am not sure how long. 10 minutes? Definitely check before then, though.
These bake times are approximate, as I have made them up. I just check them as I go along. If it looks/feels done, take it out. If not, leave in a little longer and check again.
Also, if aesthetics are important, take note. The way you put it in/on pan, is how it will look. It will not smooth out, so you need to do this yourself.
These are great treats because the only fat is what came in the box. Much healthier than the traditional box recipe. They are really moist as well.

4 comments:

Kelli Proctor said...

YUM! Tina got this book for me for Christmas and I am so excited to try these recipes! Thanks!

Carrie said...

I got this book for Christmas and I haven't made anything yet, so keep sharing which ones you like. I will try this one, Thanks!

Tres Chic Boutique said...

(this is me, heather)I tried the
1st mac and cheese recipe today and it was delish. I need to try more sneaky ones, like the bread with broccoli baked in. I have tried the brownies and they are good.

Kendra said...

I bought this book a few months ago, but I have not tried any of the recipes yet. Jacob is in DIRE need of some nutrition. He is the pickiest eater EVER! I am trying to get on a healthy kick with my family as well. I'm just too cheap to throw away everything in my house and start over. *sigh*