Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Big SIX

In these pics, Ethan is somewhere between 1 and 3 mos old. 

Six years ago, pretty much right now, I started getting contractions every six minutes. I was getting ready for the day, about 9am, when I noticed them. They were just annoying. Jody and I had some errands to attend to, so we both packed up and left.  We drove separate cars, because we planned to make our way to brick places and then go to work. I had steady contractions, all day. Every six minutes apart. I may have had a few a little less or a little more, but for the most part, they were pretty constant. Some hurt more than others, but with him, they never got nearly as painful as the ones with Sydney (hers were ***AWFUL***). Anyway, so I remember being at one brick place, and I remember the guy who was helping us looking at me kind of weird. I guess I know why now, I must have just had that look, you know, I look like I am going to have my baby very soon look. I was not very big, but I was definitely big enough ;) I started writing the times down at 1:00 (I have that paper around here somewhere!)
So we parted ways, I went to work. I want to say it was 2:00-2:30 ish (but that # might come back to me for other reasons- read on!). I was sitting in my car, out in front of the office, and I had a couple contractions that hurt worse than the others, but they were 2:30-3 minutes apart. I went in, sat in my seat. The place I worked had little rooms, and the room I liked to work in was full of little old ladies/older than me ladies (my grandma's friends, she worked there as well)- Norma, Donna, Bonnie, Carol, and a few others. I don't really remember who all was there for sure, but probably them all. I do know, I told them what was going on, and Carol told me (same thing a DR would tell me) that I should sit tight and get working cause until they regularly come at 2 minutes apart and get stronger. Mine were coming hard, not hard, 6 min, 3 min, 4 min, etc. But never longer than 6 minutes apart. 
The thing is, I knew I had a decision to make. I did not want call and make Jody leave work, he has just arrived for his desk shift. I had just arrived. I did not want to go to the hospital to be sent home. I knew that was a strong possibility (if I had been normal anyway, which, ps, I was not) and I did not want to ruin the night of getting work in, cause a fuss over nothing. I called L&D and asked what I should do and they gave their normal answer- we can't give you medical advice blah blah blah. 
SO here is why I was having such a dilemma. It was almost 3. I worked in Sugarhouse. My hospital and Dr are in American Fork. I knew that if I stayed one minute longer, I was probably going to be stuck in traffic. I also knew that Ethan was breech and I was going to have a c-section and the thought passed through my mind about having a baby in the car... you know, pregnant imaginations, and on the first you don't get how long it all actually really takes (for a vaginal delivery, anyway).
So, I called my mom, gave her the this is stupid but a heads up just in case and I left. I drove home, but I did take advantage of speeding in the carpool lane :) I dare you to pull me over! HA! Jody met me at our apartment, I packed up a few things, and we headed south. 
When I had called my mom, she was determined I not have a c-sec cause she had such a horrible experience, but I knew my situation was different- I was 10 years younger, it was my first (not #6!), I knew I was having one, it was emergency I guess cause I was in labor, but hers was a true emergency, with only local anesthesia (I want to cry every.time. I think about that), etc. I just knew our experiences were going to be different. So we got to the hospital, my mom had called my dad home from work to meet us there so Jody and hi could give me a blessing. Dr Lawrence was already there, I got hooked up to the monitors and a little bit later, she came in, checked me, and said, "I will see you in an hour!" I was a 4. I found out later, that the had a busy night--- three unexpected c-sections. I was very grateful that mine was always a C though, cause I think the others had tried V first. I think recovery is harder that way.
At any rate, Ethan was born at 7:06 pm, everything went beautifully, and he was healthy and pleasant. 
I am so grateful for this kid in my life, he is definitely a big contributor to the survival of our family and I could not do it without his contributions. I love his guts and I am so excited to celebrate his birthday today (and Sunday and next Tuesday!  LOL)
2 yr birthday

 1
 1
 1
 2
 2
 2
 2
 2 (he had a thing with buckets/hats!)
4
 1, some of his first steps
Coming home... not great of me...
 I was still hopped up... lol

 a couple weeks away 
 The announcment
 Our first non-hospital outing
 First St Patty's parade
 Baby blessing 
 "our little burrito"
 Getting ready to leave the hospital
 Jake meets Ethan for the first time
 My all time favorite pic of E
a little over one month prior to E birth
5
5

3 comments:

Morgan said...

Oh so fun to see pictures of Ethan so little. Darling. p.s You are a brave woman to wait so long!

Lisa said...

He has always been the cutest! I loved hearing your story again.
I hope he had a wonderful birthday.

Kelli Proctor said...

what a beautiful baby he was and such a little cutie he has grown into!! Love your Christmas card by the way....