Last night, I was having dinner with the kids, and the power went out. Well, I walk through my house in the dark often , so that is no problem. But it was kind of funny to listen to Ethan come up with a fear of the dark. I lit some candles, since they (and the matches) were close. Then I grabbed one of the ten flashlights we have and I turned it on. It was pretty dim, so I went in search of batteries. The power came on by the time I had three flashlights all ready to go, but it made me think. For one, I was thinking that if the power was out for a while, I would be wishing my fireplace was a wood burning one, rather than gas. I guess the gas is nice, but it still requires a switch to turn it on. Then , I was thinking about the batteries. Sure, I keep AA around-- I buy them quite often, unfortunately. But D? I do not usually have those just hanging around. What if the power was out for a long time and for some crazy reason I was not able to leave? I don't know. I am always thinking that I would just run to the store or something. But what if that was not a possibility all of a sudden? I guess I made a resolve to be (at least) a little more prepared. I am guessing people in certain areas did not expect the crazy situations that happened, and even though we live in an area where not much happens, I guess that does not mean that nothing ever will happen. So here's to us all being a little more prepared, however we each interpret that!
My sweet baby girl. She vomited all over the two of us during her birthday party. Then, after we had opened presents, had cake n' cream, and were all cleaned up, she vomited all over herself and her cousin, Dakota. What a sad little party! She is a little sick zombie in this pic, in a weird position, but she is cuddling her dad.





4 comments:
ahh, how sad, but it is it bad to say that I kinda like it when my kids are sick (except for the vomiting) because they finally will cuddle.
Oh yes, I understand. It also makes them mello. Who couldn't use that every once in a while?
Good to hear you survived the crisis. Flashlights are rather handy- my kids think so too which makes them scarce around here. I'm sorry your baby was sick, and on her birthday! She looks so sweet just snuggled up to Jody. Love the little ones.
HEather - your kids are so stinkin' cute! I love keeping up with your little family! And I like your preparedness post - we recently had a good-sized earthquake here (San Jose) and though I have all the stuff for my 72-hour kits, I had not put them together... well let's just say they are now ready and waiting for the next emergency. I guess it's good to have those little experiences that scare us into action!
Post a Comment