I had a pretty good (emotional?) breakthrough today. I had a bad run a week and half ago and I have struggled since. It was the farthest I had gone, more than 7 miles, but I was really hot, thirsty, and after 5 miles, my feet were killing me (I walked a lot, especially the last two miles). I have really been pretty down ever since. This morning, I was running to some Whitney Houston dance mixes (HAHA!) and One Moment in Time came on, which happened to not have the dance beat. I usually would change the song, but I kept it on and something really happened to me! The words, the inspiration of the song (didn't it get played during the Olympics one year? LOL) really hit me. I actually had to fight back the tears at the gym. It was just exactly what I needed to give me back my confidence and the courage that I just might be able to survive my race this weekend-- the whole reason I have been running so much. I ran a 5k a few weeks ago, but I was not training for that, I am training for this. And now it is almost here. I am nervous, worried I will pee my pants and such. Today, when I heard that song, it was right about the half hour mark, which is the longest I have run without breaks at the gym. It made me commit to ten more minutes, then when those were up, I was feeling good, so I committed to ten more. So I ran 50 minutes in a row, no breaks, which is UM yeah, my personal best ever. I have never ran that long EVER! I went to the bathroom and then ran for another 20 minutes. Outside, I wear Jody's Garmin 305 and it would take me about 80 minutes (I am *not* fast!) to run 6 miles, according to my typical stats on there. So inside, I barely cleared 4.5 miles, but in that same amount of time, I will do the race this Saturday.
Tuesday, July 20, 2010
What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger!
It has been a fun experience, I feel a little better, I have some good fitness goals, etc. If I survive and "catch the bug" this weekend, I will continue training with the goal of running the SoJo Half Marathon in September. I have absolutely no desire to do anything more than a half, so I will just continue to do 5k-halves after that. Improve myself, I guess.
I would lose weight if I actually stopped eating like a horse. I will try to work on that one, I just really have no self control whatsoever when food I love is around. Surround me with cake, I would not eat it. Caramel popcorn, ice cream, and that is a whole other story!
On a different note, something else I am trying to do this summer, is hangout with friends more. I have already seen Kelli more than I do in a year (woohoooo) LOL! I am trying to hang out with all my friends, but understand it may not be feasible, but it is really nice to get out and do stuff, which I normally don't do. I am lazy when it comes to taking my kids swimming and such, so besides having my friends to chat with, it is good for the kids in turn. I hope to keep this up this summer, and one of these days (Crystal!) I am actually going to make it to the lake too!
Katie, Kelli and I at SoDa Row (YUMMMY gelato place there)
Jackson (Kelli) Sydney (me) and {Oh shoot! Which one?!} I think Jace (Katie, she has twins) at Katie's new place. They get a long really well!
Posted by Heather at 10:07 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





2 comments:
so fun! You are doin awesome with your running! And it has been so fun hanging out with you more again!
i think your running is legend heather - you're my running hero!
Post a Comment