Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Record

I have a lot going on this week, a boutique coming up, peaches to get done, hopefully pickles too, my stuff still needs to be put away, cleaners are going to come, etc. In short, I should sit and write in my journal, but have not made the time for that yet. This is short and sweet, I just feel impressed to write down that I keep having this thought to write a list of things I really need to do. On the top of that list is the thing that keeps popping up the most- I need to go around and video or photo document everything in my house. My possessions, everything. It leads me to feel that I need to get even more disaster prepared. I also have on that list, another list (yes, I am a list person!). This list is all of the things I would need/want to pack up in the event of another emergency/evacuation. This list would include things like pictures, external hard drives, etc that are no brainers, but other things like close vents, turn off air, turn off gas, etc. As well as other things to take with me, like my passport and also, next to these things, I will put their locations. I hide everything and I could not find my hiding place. Then I decided I would just get a new passport, cause really, I was 95% sure I was saying goodbye, permanently, to everything I left behind.
This experience needs to and will be better documented, but one other thing I feel impressed to do, is keep my  house more organized. In the event something like this happens again, which I have been pretty much told it will, I need to have this house in order so that I can properly get out with what we need and in a hurry. AND if all my scrapbooks had been scanned and made digital copies, then I could even feel okay about leaving behind those, if I don't have time or space for  them. Let me tell ya, hauling out the boxes of photos took lots more time (thanks Tracy!!!) and were heavier, took up more space, than the little external hard drive I snagged that has the other half of my life on it!
Clean out, clean up, become more efficient. With that in mind, I better get back to what I am supposed to be doing!
PS, I will tell you more later on the reason I say that I have basically been told something will happen again.

1 comments:

scrappysue said...

you need a list for your lists heather! i think we can only be so prepared, and the rest just happens. having said that, being prepared is a great idea, but don't overwhelm yourself with doing it all at once :)